Our policy is to sterilize all pets before placing them in new homes. We also host public sterilization campaigns so that members of the community can bring their pets to be spayed or neutered free of charge.
Our sterilization campaign dates will be posted here. If you would like to help by donating time, money or medications to our sterilization campaigns, or spreading awareness, please contact us via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Facebook.
Groups like Pro Animal Melaque, who spend a lot of time rescuing at-risk dogs and cats, offer the most compelling reason for spaying & neutering: appalling pet overpopulation problem that leads to so many abused & abandoned animals. Additional benefits from spaying and neutering our pets include:
- Better Health: an animal that is spayed or neutered has no chance of developing uterine or testicular cancer.
- Better behaviour: male dogs and cats that are neutered when young are much less likely to roam, mark their territory with urine, and show aggression towards other males. They don’t go looking for females in heat.
- Easier care: an unspayed female dog generally goes into heat twice per year, and bleeds for about 10 straight days each heat. There is the added nuisance of all the male dogs that are attracted to her scent and congregate outside her door. An unspayed female cat generally goes into heat 3 times a year and attracts a lot of yowling males, who often fight over her.
- Easier training: altered animals are generally more docile & easier to train. They are less distracted by their mating instincts.
- Community benefits: by reducing the number of strays, there are numerous benefits to the community. There is less animal waste in the streets, less garbage torn into, less damage to property and fewer attacks on wildlife.